We might not think a lot of the garage flooring, but it should be something that does not buckle easily under heavy foot traffic, vehicle movement, exposure to chemicals and various substances, excessive moisture, changes in temperature, etc.
Therefore, when it comes to choosing the right garage floor flooring, sealing, and coating, you should keep in mind both functionality and visual appeal.
In this article, we will cover everything you should know about the best garage flooring options available in the market to help you make an informed decision. In addition, we will provide some tips about garage floor maintenance.
Looking for a flooring company in Manchester, NH? We offer the best flooring materials, professional installations, and consultation to help you make the right decision for your place. Call for more information.
5 Best Garage Flooring Options to Ensure Functionality and Aesthetics
When it comes to choosing the best garage flooring, before going over the wide array of options, you should consider a few factors to make sure the flooring you choose will enhance the functionality as well as the appearance of the space.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Flooring for a Garage
- Durability: The garage floor is typically subjected to heavy loads and impacts. So, durability is key to ensuring the flooring can withstand such demands for a long time.
- Function: Think about how you normally use your garage space. Is it only for parking your car or do you have any plans to use it as a workshop? Some even do exercise in the garage. The answers to these questions can help you decide whether you need a smooth surface that is easy to clean (for parking purposes), or a more comfortable cushioned floor for work and exercise.
- Chemical/stain resistance: Even if the primary purpose of the garage is for parking your car, still the floor is exposed to different chemicals and substances, such as engine oil, that not only leave stains but also may damage the flooring. Therefore, go for a flooring material that can resist stains and chemicals well.
- Slip resistance: Slipping and falling are common mishaps in garages, especially when the floor is wet or greasy. This is a serious matter as it can lead to severe injuries. So, to be safe, make sure the floor is slip-resistant.
- Cleaning and maintenance requirements: Obviously, garage flooring is prone to heavy wear and tear as well as dirt and dust. Therefore, you should consider how much time you can allocate to its maintenance and cleaning. Some flooring options are easy to clean and do not require frequent refinishing and resealing, while others accumulate dirt and get stains and gouges more easily.
- Aesthetic appeal: Although functionality is more important for a garage floor, you can also consider your preferences in choosing the color and pattern to complement the style and design of the garage.
- Budget: Define a budget range for your garage flooring project.
Now, let’s explore some popular options.
1. Epoxy Garage Flooring
Epoxy garage floor is a widely-used option nowadays because of the following advantages.
- It is exceptionally durable and can endure heavy foot/vehicle traffic, impacts, and abrasion.
- Epoxy resin garage floor is resistant to chemicals, oil spills, stains, and moisture.
- Garage epoxy creates a sleek, seamless, and glossy surface that looks professional and attractive.
- Ease of cleaning and maintenance.
- Epoxy floor coating comes in various colors, finishes, patterns, and textures. Therefore, you can customize it easily to match the rest of your garage’s design.
- It is relatively easy to install on concrete surfaces. However, the subfloor must be prepared properly, and preferably by a professional.
To ensure a smooth and flawless epoxy surface, you need to clean it regularly but avoid using harsh detergents. Also, recoating the garage floor occasionally is necessary to protect it from wear and tear.
In conclusion, epoxy garage flooring is a durable, versatile, visually appealing, and relatively low-maintenance option to upgrade your garage floor.
To learn more about epoxy flooring, read our comprehensive guide to ‘Industrial Epoxy Flooring; Benefits and Maintenance’.
Do you need professional epoxy flooring installation for your residential or commercial space in New Hampshire?
See our Epoxy Flooring Installation Service Page.
2. Rubber Garage Flooring
Many homeowners prefer to have cushioned flooring that feels more comfortable under the feet. Especially, those who use their garage as a workshop or for other purposes, such as doing exercise. Now, the best choice for these purposes is rubber flooring.
Except for its cushioned surface, rubber floor for garages offers the benefits below.
- It is highly durable and can withstand heavy loads, impacts, and abrasion well.
- Rubber flooring is made of recycled materials, so it is an environmentally friendly choice.
- It resists chemicals, moisture, oils, and stains.
- A rubber floor is easy to clean with water or a mop.
- Rubber absorbs sounds and reduces noise levels.
- It is easy to install and does not require intricate subfloor preparation. It can be installed on almost all hard flooring surfaces and mostly comes in the form of tiles or rolls.
- You can customize the appearance of the floor by choosing your desired color, pattern, and texture.
To sum up, if you are looking for resilience, practicality, comfort, and ease of maintenance, perhaps rubber garage flooring will be the right choice for you.
3. Concrete Garage Flooring
A classic choice of flooring for garages, a concrete floor is commonly used because of its longevity and durability. Benefits of concrete garage flooring include
- it does not crack or buckle under constant foot/vehicle traffic and impact,
- it is resistant to scratches, stains, oil spills, chemicals, and moisture (especially when sealed),
- a concrete floor only needs regular sweeping and mopping, so it is low-maintenance,
- and you can customize the color and pattern by applying concrete stain, stamping, and sealant. The sealant also enhances the resistance to chemicals, stains, and water.
But you should keep in mind that concrete takes time to cure and it needs professional subfloor preparation and installation.
To conclude, a concrete garage floor can offer strength, longevity, and ease of maintenance if installed and sealed properly.
4. Vinyl Flooring for Garage Floors
Vinyl flooring comes in rolls or tiles/planks and is made of a synthetic material to withstand heavy loads, impacts, and high foot/vehicle traffic.
Other benefits of a vinyl garage floor include
- high durability and strength,
- resistance to water, moisture, scratches, dents, and stains,
- ease of maintenance,
- simple installation on almost any hard surface (DIY-friendly),
- providing a sleek and level surface,
- being budget-friendly,
- versatility of color, pattern, texture, and style (traditional and modern).
In summary, vinyl garage flooring is cost-effective, durable, and easy to clean and maintain. Plus, you can easily customize the floor to match the overall style of your garage.
5. Interlocking Garage Floor Tiles
Another DIY-friendly garage flooring solution is interlocking garage floor tiles that can be made of any durable and strong materials, such as vinyl, PVC, rubber, and polypropylene.
These tiles fit together perfectly and easily to create a smooth seamless surface that can withstand impacts, constant traffic, chemicals, moisture, stains, oil spills, and scratches easily.
In addition, there is no need for a complicated subfloor preparation. You can normally install them on any kind of hard flat floor.
What’s more, they are low-maintenance and easy to clean (with a sweep, vacuum cleaner, or mop). If one or a couple of tiles get damaged or stained, you can easily replace them with new ones without the need to redo the whole floor.
Besides, the tiles are available in a wide variety of colors and designs to complement every style. Most of them also come with anti-slip properties.
Overall, interlocking garage tiling is a convenient but functional solution for your garage floor that does not require an extensive installation (or repair) process. Homeowners can upgrade their garages in no time.
What Is the Best Garage Floor Coating?
After flooring installation is over (or when the current coatings need to be redone), it is possible to add one or more layers of coating for extra protection against wear and tear, abrasions, stains, UV, slipping, etc.
Here are some of the best garage floor coatings in the market.
- Epoxy coating garage floor: Epoxy floor coatings are among the most popular and durable garage flooring coatings. You can add a few layers of these coatings to make the garage floor more resistant to scratches, stains, chemicals, and UV. Anti-slipping coatings are also essential to make the garage safe.
- Polyurea coatings: These are very much like epoxy coatings but they usually cure more quickly.
- Polyaspartic coatings: These are also similar to epoxy; however, they are mostly used for their UV-resistance properties.
- Concrete stains: These are some colored coating layers that penetrate into the concrete. Painting the garage floor with these stains not only enhances the aesthetics but also makes the floor more resistant. Most concrete stains are UV-stable to make sure the color does not fade away over time under direct sunlight.
Except for these coatings, garage floor sealing can enhance the durability and resilience of the floor as well. For example, polyurethane sealants, acrylic sealants, and penetrating sealers. Sealants usually add a glossy finish to the floor.
To choose the best garage flooring coatings, it is recommended to consult with a flooring professional. They should also be applied properly.
Essential Tips for Better Garage Floor Maintenance
Here are some important tips to consider when it comes to selecting, installing, and maintaining garage flooring.
- Do not take subfloor preparation lightly. Otherwise, the new flooring might crack easily, be uneven, or other problems. Before installation, clean the current surface, repair cracks and dents, and make sure it is suitable for the type of flooring you have chosen. Of course, if you let a professional handle it, you have nothing to worry about.
- The climate counts. Take into account the temperatures, moisture, humidity, sun exposure, etc. Ask an experienced flooring expert to help you make the right choice based on these conditions.
- Keep the garage floor clean of dust, dirt, and debris. Regularly sweep, vacuum, and mop. Only use mild detergents to avoid damaging the surface.
- Remove oil spills and stains as soon as possible.
- Protect the floor from scratches and dents by garage floor matting or using furniture pads.
- Keep an eye open for any water issues, such as leaky faucets, or excessive moisture. Ensure the flooring has water-proof sealants and coatings.
- Do not forget to inspect the floor regularly to address any issues as soon as possible.
- Follow the flooring manufacturer’s instructions and guidelines. For example, some types of flooring are not heat-friendly, so avoid placing any hot object or tool on the floor.
Convenient garage flooring installations in Manchester, NH, and neighboring areas. Call to get a quote.
FAQs Regarding the Best Garage Flooring Options
Let’s answer some of your common questions about the best garage flooring options and garage floor maintenance.
What Is Garage Floor Matting?
To protect the garage flooring and make it easier to clean and maintain, you can get garage floor mats and cover the floor, especially parts that are more prone to damage. You can find these mats in a variety of sizes, thicknesses, colors, etc. They are made of PVC, rubber, polypropylene, or any other durable materials.
Can I Install My Garage Flooring Myself?
While there are a few DIY-friendly flooring materials, such as interlocking flooring tiles, many others need professional equipment, skills, and experience.
Can Oil Spills and Chemicals Ruin My Garage Floor?
Although most garage flooring options are resistant to oil spills and chemicals commonly found in a garage, still you should address them immediately by cleaning up the spills and using mild detergents (that are suitable for the type of flooring you have) to remove the stains.
Hire Us to Help You Install the Best Garage Flooring for Your Specific Needs
We have introduced the best garage flooring options you can find in the market nowadays. However, regardless of the material, you should always follow the manufacturer’s or the flooring company’s maintenance guidelines, to ensure the garage floor remains in its tip-top shape for years.
Now, if you are looking for a reputable flooring company in Manchester, New Hampshire (and some neighboring towns), pick up the phone (603-782-1942) or fill out the form below to schedule an appointment. Our flooring experts will give honest advice to help you choose the right material for your specific requirements.