There are only a few types of flooring that can withstand constant heavy foot traffic and daily damage in busy homes and businesses, while they are also low-maintenance. In addition, they should offer a good aesthetic appeal that matches your preferred style and color. That is why, selecting the right flooring for such places is essential for their functionality. Let’s see what these commercial flooring options are and what makes them a good choice for a bustling area.
Besides, we will also go over the factors you should consider when choosing among commercial flooring types.
Consult with our flooring experts to find out what flooring enhances your business functionality and overall ambiance.
How to Choose the Right Commercial Flooring
Whether you are choosing commercial flooring for a busy office, an educational institution, a restaurant, a lively household, or any other vibrant place, considering the important factors below are necessary to ensure safety, efficiency, and long-term value.
Durability and Longevity
Any commercial setting comes with its own specific demands that should be considered to make sure the selected flooring can withstand them. For example, high foot traffic, impacts of machinery, or heavy furniture and tools. Also, busy homes with kids and pets need a type of flooring that can survive the daily wear and tear.
Consequently, durability and longevity for commercial flooring are paramount. According to your place’s needs, consider durable flooring materials that can resist scratches, impacts, and other potential threats.
Ease of Maintenance and Cleaning
A busy commercial setting does not allow you to spend a lot of time maintaining and cleaning the floor. Additionally, it requires a lot of effort and money to do so. For instance, some flooring materials need special cleaning products or professional help for maintenance. Therefore, you should opt for low-maintenance flooring options that do not require regular and costly upkeep.
Safety is one of the main considerations in choosing the right commercial flooring. For example, slip-resistant flooring is a necessity in a commercial space, particularly if it is prone to spills. Also, any loose plank or tile can lead to disastrous accidents. So, good traction is essential to avoid injuries.
Noise Reduction and Acoustics
Some businesses produce too much noise and a noise-reducing flooring option, such as carpet, can help to absorb sound. Therefore, noise transmission is another factor to consider if you wish to limit the unavoidable noise in your workplace. Reducing noise levels in some residential spaces, such as apartments, can also be helpful and neighborly.
Most commercial spaces, especially those where customers regularly come and go, have a certain style and ambiance that go with the nature of the business, brand, and theme. So, the flooring, which contributes a lot to the interior design, should also reflect this style as well.
Each type of commercial flooring offers a specific range of colors, patterns, and designs. Preferably, go with the one that can be more easily custom-designed. Such customizable flooring designs help you enhance the overall ambiance and aesthetic of the place.
For example, young children’s education institution flooring should have lively colors and patterns to make the place more attractive and exciting for kids.
Another determining factor is of course the money. Think about your budget constraints before making up your mind. Because once you start your commercial flooring installation or replacement, you cannot go back on your decision.
Just keep in mind that even though some commercial flooring options seem steep when you consider the upfront cost of installation, over time they can prove to be more cost-effective due to their longevity and low maintenance.
Flooring trends for businesses nowadays also include some environmentally friendly options. As we are facing numerous environmental issues these days, it will be perfect if we can come up with a flooring idea that can meet our needs and does not harm the environment. Such eco-friendly flooring options are made from renewable resources or recycled materials.
If you want to know whether the product you are choosing is environmentally friendly, check for its LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification.
In all, during the decision-making process, think about all the above-mentioned factors, prioritize them according to your place’s requirements, and consult with a professional when in doubt.
Commercial Flooring Options; Flooring Trends for Businesses
Now that you know what criteria are important to be considered, let’s go over the most popular commercial flooring options in the market.
Hardwood Flooring for Businesses; Timeless and Durable
The natural beauty and warmth of wood give your business place a timeless and classic look that never goes out of style. Perhaps because of this, it is one of the most popular flooring ideas among restaurant flooring trends.
Construction of Commercial Hardwood Floor
Usually engineered hardwood is used in commercial settings or busy homes. The reason is that engineered hardwood consists of different layers (a veneer layer that is on the top, and a few layers of high-density fiberboard (HDF) or plywood in lower layers) that make it harder, more stable, and resistant to moisture and temperature fluctuations.
Advantages of Commercial Engineered Hardwood Flooring
- Aesthetic appeal: Wood makes a place look natural, elegant, welcoming, and cozy. Besides, different species, colors, textures, plank sizes, and hardwood finishes are available to go with the overall style and ambiance of the place.
- Durability: Engineered hardwood is very strong and resists humidity and temperature.
- Refinishing: One of the best features of hardwood flooring is it can be refinished to restore its original appearance or even make some changes to the color and finish to create variety. Learn more about our hardwood refinishing services in Manchester, NH.
Although there are so many advantages to going with engineered hardwood flooring, you should consider its maintenance requirements and costs.
Wood floors require regular maintenance and special cleaning products that do not damage the wood. In addition, you should clean up any spills as quickly as possible, because moisture can damage the wood and leave a stain.
What’s more, commercial hardwood flooring has a high upfront cost compared to some other commercial flooring options. Still considering its durability, refinishing option, and the value it adds to your place, it can be considered a good investment.
Porcelain and Ceramic Tile Flooring for Businesses; Water Resistant and Versatile
Commercial porcelain and ceramic tiles are famous for their versatility, durability, and exceptional resistance to water damage.
Composition and Material in Ceramic and Porcelain Tiles
Like hardwood, porcelain and ceramic are made from natural materials, such as clay. Although porcelain and ceramic flooring are similar in many aspects, their manufacturing process and composition are different.
Clay and minerals are combined to make ceramic tiles, while porcelain is made of dense and refined clay that makes it stronger and more durable.
Advantages of Porcelain and Ceramic Tiles in Commercial Settings
- Durability and longevity: Ceramic and porcelain tiles are one of the best options for businesses mostly due to their high durability and longevity. Particularly, porcelain tiles, which are fired at high temperatures, are highly resistant to water, scratches, stains, and heavy foot traffic. As a result, they have become versatile and are usually used as flooring for retail spaces, healthcare facilities, restaurants, and busy offices.
- Aesthetic options: You can find a wide array of colors, patterns, finishes, and sizes. This means commercial ceramic and porcelain tiles allow you to match your flooring with the overall style and décor of your business space. Besides, there are various designs such as natural stone, wood, and other decorative patterns so that you can create any kind of ambiance you wish.
- Easy to maintain and clean: These two commercial flooring options are relatively easy to clean and maintain. This allows your business to function more efficiently. You can easily vacuum or mop the floor, or use a simple broom. Additionally, there is no need to worry about stains as spills can be cleaned very easily. Also, porcelain and ceramics do not absorb any liquid due to their non-porous surface.
- Slip-resistance: One of the potential problems of ceramic and porcelain flooring is the risk of slipping. However, there are various levels of slip-resistant tiles in the market. You can check the product’s coefficient of friction (COF) to see its level of resistance.
Before finalizing your decision about using commercial ceramic and porcelain tiles, consider the factors below.
- The installation of ceramic and porcelain tiles can take a while.
- The upfront cost can be high. However, if installed and maintained properly, your commercial ceramic or porcelain flooring is going to serve you for years, without requiring expensive maintenance or repair.
- If you are going to be barefooted, you may feel uncomfortable on cold ceramic and porcelain tiles in cold weather. While this is rarely a problem for commercial spaces, underfloor heating systems or using rugs can solve the problem.
- Commercial ceramic and porcelain tiles do not absorb sound. Consequently, you are in for higher noise levels if your business place is already noisy.
Commercial Carpet Tiles; Comfortable and Safe
Carpet squares, modular carpets, or commercial carpet tiles are among the most popular flooring trends for businesses nowadays. They are easily replaced and installed. But their most significant feature is comfort.
Advantages of Commercial Carpet Flooring
- Aesthetic appeal and design versatility: There are numerous designs and you can combine various colors, patterns, tile sizes, and textures to create your desired style and configuration. So, you can custom design the floor easily.
- Durability and resistance: Commercial carpet tiles can tolerate heavy foot traffic because they are made of durable materials. Besides, these materials usually offer resistance to soil, stains, and wear. As a result, they can beautify your floor for a long time without losing their original shape and appearance.
- Easy installation and replacement: The commercial carpet tiles are installed or replaced easily by a peel-and-stick or adhesive backing. Sometimes, there is no need for any adhesives. And, if one tile is damaged, you can simply replace that one without any disruption to your business.
- Comfort and safety: Commercial carpet squares are soft, comfortable, cozy, hospitable, and safe. That is why they are widely used in educational institutions for young children, or in offices where individuals have to stand or walk for long hours.
- Noise reduction: Carpet tiles are the best commercial flooring options for noise reduction. They absorb sound and do not transmit it. As a result, the commercial place becomes quieter and more comfortable. So, they are also a great choice for busy homes to reduce the noise levels.
- Sustainability: Most commercial modular carpets are made from materials, like recycled materials, that make them eco-friendly. Plus, the tiles can be easily recycled compared to the traditional carpets.
Commercial carpet flooring is not difficult to maintain and clean, however, regular maintenance and cleaning is necessary to keep it hygienic and in good shape.
And, compared to commercial hardwood and commercial porcelain flooring, carpet tiles are less costly. But the brand, quality, and design will impact the cost.
So, if you wish to have your carpet flooring for a good while, you should consider purchasing high-quality carpet tiles and maintaining them properly.
In our next article, we will introduce more budget-friendly commercial flooring ideas.
Learn more about our affordable carpet flooring installation service.
Commercial Flooring Installation and Repair in Manchester, New Hampshire
We have reviewed three of the best commercial flooring options for various businesses and lively households. We also introduced the main factors you should keep in mind when choosing the flooring type for your business space.
But you can always count on our professional opinion in this matter to make sure you are on the right track. Minuteman Floors is located in Manchester, NH, and is ready to help you install or repair your commercial flooring with the minimum disruption to your business.
Call (800) 315-2185 to schedule an appointment.