There are various types of commercial flooring available in the market, however, for some budget-conscious businesses, commercial hardwood flooring or commercial porcelain flooring can be costly. Fortunately, more affordable commercial flooring options, such as laminate, vinyl, and concrete, will not only meet their budgetary constraints but also offer durability and aesthetic appeal.
In our previous article ‘Commercial Flooring Options for Busy Homes and Businesses’, we introduced the factors you should consider when choosing a commercial flooring type and reviewed commercial carpet tiles, commercial hardwood, and commercial ceramic or porcelain tiles. Today, we will explore affordable flooring materials for your business and answer some of the frequently asked questions about commercial floors.
Are you looking for a reputable flooring contractor in Manchester, NH? Minuteman Floors is here to help you with all kinds of flooring services.
Affordable Commercial Flooring Choices
Among the wide array of flooring options nowadays, you can find a few suitable flooring materials for your business environment that are cost-effective, practical, and visually appealing. Here, we will discuss three of the best affordable commercial flooring types.
Commercial Laminate Flooring; Versatile and Resistant to Stains
Adding a natural look, such as hardwood or stone, is appealing for most people because it creates a warm and welcoming ambiance. While hardwood flooring or natural stone flooring is an expensive choice, you can enjoy its natural appearance without having to break the bank. Laminate floors come in numerous designs among their other benefits.
Construction of Commercial Laminate Flooring
Laminate flooring is made from multiple layers each of which serves a unique purpose. For example, the core layer, which is made of particleboard or HDF (high-density fiberboard), a wear layer to protect the floor from wear and tear, and a decorative layer that can look like wood or other designs. These layers are fused together in high temperatures and pressure.
Besides, laminate flooring thickness ranges between 6 to 12 mm. For a commercial place, it is recommended to go with thicker ones.
In addition, the abrasion class rating (AC rating) of laminate flooring shows to what extent the laminate floor can withstand wear and tear. There are AC1 to AC5 levels, and only AC4 and AC5 are specifically designed for commercial settings. However, AC3 can function well in very low-traffic business places as well. So, the more foot traffic your place gets, the higher the AC rating should be.
Advantages of Commercial Grade Laminate Flooring
- Durability: Commercial laminate floors are highly durable mostly because of the tough wear layer (AC4 and AC5 levels) on top. This makes the flooring strong enough to stand up to high foot traffic, pressures, and the daily damage in business establishments.
- Resistant to moisture, scratches, and stains: The wear layer protects the flooring from stains, scratches, and even fading. It is also highly resistant to moisture.
- Various design options: The photographic layer (the decorative layer) of laminate flooring includes a high-resolution image of natural stone, wood, tiles, and other patterns. Therefore, businesses are offered a panoply of designs to achieve their desired aesthetic.
- Ease of installation and repair: One of the well-known features of laminate flooring is its easy installation process, mostly due to utilizing a floating floor system. In this system, there is no need for adhesives or time-consuming subfloor preparation. The laminate planks or tiles simply interlock together, making it convenient to install or repair. Therefore, you should expect a short downtime and minimal disruption for your business.
- Low maintenance: Regular cleaning and spot cleaning the spills are enough to keep your commercial grade laminate floor in good shape for a long time. You can use a vacuum or a broom to get rid of the dust and debris. Also, every once in a while, use a damp mop with special laminate flooring cleaners to maintain its look. Besides, it is essential to clean up the spills as soon as possible to prevent the laminate planks from swelling or warping. Because, although they are moisture resistant, too much moisture can cause damage.
- Affordable: Last but certainly not least, commercial laminate flooring is more affordable than hardwood, stone, and other natural materials. As the installation is also easier compared to hardwood flooring installation, the cost can even get lower.
Commercial laminate flooring is a great choice to opt for without exceeding your budget, but you should keep in mind that it is not waterproof and can get damaged by excessive moisture and humidity.
What’s more, the laminate decorative layer only mimics the natural materials, but the texture is never the same. However, it works pretty well for customizable flooring designs.
Vinyl Flooring Trends for Business Settings; Water-Resistant and Easy to Install
Vinyl flooring is one of the most versatile and popular options for both residential and commercial settings. It is famous for its ease of maintenance and various patterns and colors. So, it is definitely one of the most common flooring trends for businesses nowadays.
Construction of Commercial Vinyl Flooring
Like laminate, vinyl flooring consists of multiple layers, such as a wear layer, a printed layer for design, a core layer, and a backing layer for support and flexibility.
There are several main types of vinyl flooring, such as vinyl sheet flooring, vinyl composition tiles (VCT), luxury vinyl tile (LVT), luxury vinyl plank (LVP), and vinyl plank flooring (VPF) or standard vinyl flooring.
Vinyl sheet flooring comes in large rolls so, the number of seams is reduced to a minimum, which is a great option for healthcare facility flooring. However, maintaining and replacing a large sheet is more difficult than small planks or tiles.
VCT is thin and high maintenance, requiring frequent waxing and polishing, which can lead to a lot of disruption to a business.
Therefore, for commercial spaces, LVT and LVP are better options. LVP comes in larger planks, but both LVP and LVT are thicker, feel softer underfoot, and absorb sounds better compared to the standard vinyl flooring.
Advantages of Commercial Grade Vinyl Flooring
- Durability: Commercial vinyl flooring is highly durable and can withstand daily wear and tear, scratches, stains, and impacts. So, it is suitable for heavy foot traffic areas without losing its good shape and appearance for a long time.
- Waterproof: One of the best benefits of vinyl flooring is its water resistance. Therefore, it is a suitable option for commercial kitchens or any other place that is prone to spills, moisture, and high humidity.
- Low-maintenance flooring: As it is waterproof, the cleaning and maintenance are also easy. You can use a vacuum, a broom, or a damp mop with special cleaning products that are suitable for vinyl flooring. Besides, you do not have to worry about stains or cleaning up spills, because the surface is smooth and resistant to stains.
- Easy to customize the design: Luxury vinyl tiles or planks are available in numerous high-quality patterns, colors, and textures. This option makes it an easy choice for achieving your desired style and design. Additionally, if you are into natural materials, some designs mimic stone, wood, etc.
- Different installation methods: Some vinyl tiles or planks need adhesives, while others utilize a click-and-lock method. In either case, the installation is pretty straightforward and quick.
- Sound absorption: Vinyl flooring, especially luxury vinyl flooring, absorbs sounds and reduces the noise level in your workplace. So, it can be used as noise-reducing flooring.
- Comfort: The cushioning feeling under feet makes LVT and LVP flooring a comfortable option that can reduce fatigue for staff that has to spend a long time standing or walking.
- Cost-effective: Compared to flooring types that are made of natural materials, commercial vinyl flooring is a budget-friendly choice that also offers longevity and versatility.
An Essential Consideration
Commercial grade vinyl flooring comes in different wear layer thicknesses and quality. And, as the thickness and quality increase, so does the price. Make sure to consult with an honest experienced flooring professional to choose the right type that can meet the demands of your business and also your budget constraints.
Our experienced flooring experts can guide you in selecting the best commercial flooring option for your specific requirements. Call to schedule an appointment.
Polished Concrete Flooring for Commercial Spaces; Long-Lasting and Sustainable
Our third affordable commercial flooring option is polished concrete flooring. For its modern aesthetic and durability, many commercial spaces are using commercial concrete flooring these days. But that’s not all.
Advantages of Commercial Concrete Flooring
- High durability: Polished concrete flooring is highly durable if maintained properly, and it can withstand heavy foot traffic, impacts, scratches, and stains. That is why it is suitable flooring for retail spaces, warehouses, showrooms, restaurants, etc.
- Versatility of design: Concrete lends itself well to different colors and designs, such as scoring patterns, stencil designs, and aggregates. So, businesses can easily achieve unique flooring surfaces that match their style and reinforce their brand. In addition, the surface of a commercial concrete floor is reflective and can create a bright and welcoming environment for a business place.
- Easy to maintain and clean: One of the main reasons that polished concrete flooring has become a big flooring trend is its low maintenance quality. Sweeping, vacuuming, and mopping with a neutral cleaner are enough to keep the dirt away and maintain its appearance. Therefore, you do not have to spend time and money on waxing or extensive cleaning routines.
- Sleep-resistant flooring: Commercial concrete is slip-resistant to some extent but this property can be enhanced by incorporating certain textures into the flooring or using anti-slip coatings and sealers.
- Sustainability: Concrete is an eco-friendly option because it is made from natural materials that do not harm the environment. Additionally, as polished concrete flooring reflects light, it conserves energy and contributes to Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED). Besides, installing commercial concrete flooring does not produce a lot of waste.
- Cost-effectiveness: Its low maintenance, energy efficiency, and longevity mean that commercial concrete flooring is a cost-effective choice in the long run. But the upfront cost varies based on the surface preparation, customization and design, finishes, etc.
A Necessary Consideration
To achieve the best result, concrete flooring must be installed properly by experienced professionals. This is mostly due to the importance of substrate preparations, like leveling and repairing cracks. Also, the installation process is done in multiple steps, but the duration depends on some factors, such as design, coatings, and the condition of the subfloor.
So, consulting with a polished concrete flooring contractor can help you better estimate the downtime.
FAQs about Commercial Flooring Options
We receive numerous questions regarding commercial flooring options, and here we try to address some of them briefly.
What Is the Most Affordable Commercial Flooring?
The up-front cost for any type of flooring can depend on the quality, design, and some other features. However, commercial laminate flooring is one of the most affordable ones.
What Are the Most Durable Flooring Materials?
Polished concrete flooring and porcelain or ceramic tile flooring are two of the most durable flooring options.
What Are the Best Office Flooring Solutions?
Carpet tiles are very popular for offices because they absorb sounds and offer longevity, the versatility of design, easy installation and maintenance, and resistance to scratches, impacts, and even stains.
What Are the Most Popular Restaurant Flooring Trends?
Commercial vinyl flooring is a suitable choice for restaurants, mostly because of its stain and water-resistant properties. In addition to vinyl flooring, porcelain tile flooring is also suitable for such spaces that are prone to spills and stains.
What Flooring Material Can Work Better as Education Institution Flooring?
Considering safety, aesthetic appeal, and durability, perhaps the best choice for an educational institution is luxury vinyl tile flooring. It is also easy to maintain, clean, repair, and install.
Professional Flooring Services in New Hampshire
We have introduced a few of the most durable and affordable commercial flooring options for your business place. To guarantee the functionality, safety, and aesthetic of the place, you have to think hard and consult with professionals to make the right decision.
Minuteman Floors is a flooring installation company in Manchester, NH, and some neighboring areas. Our team of experienced flooring professionals can help you with any type of flooring installation, flooring replacement and repair, floor refinishing services, and more.
You can get advice from our flooring experts to find out your options and choose the best one based on your place’s specific requirements and conditions. Call (800) 315-2185 from Monday to Saturday to schedule an appointment.